Serving West Virginia For Over 30 Years
Richard A. Monahan
- Personal Injury
Rick Monahan is an experienced trial and appellate attorney. He has successfully litigated complex cases involving defective drugs and other products, wrongful death and personal injury actions, medical malpractice actions, wrongful discharge cases, deliberate intent (workplace injury) cases, violations of oil and gas leases, and other consumer-related matters in West Virginia state and federal courts, including class actions. Before joining The Masters Law Firm, Mr. Monahan served as a Law Clerk to the late Honorable Elizabeth V. Hallanan, United States District Judge, S.D.W.Va.
He has also handled numerous administrative proceedings and appeals in West Virginia tribunals, including the West Virginia Consolidated Public Retirement Board, the West Virginia Public Employees Grievance Board, and the West Virginia State Police Grievance Procedure. In 2011, he was selected as "Appellate Lawyer of the Week" by The National Law Journal for an argument made before the United States Supreme Court in Smith v. Bayer Corp. resulting in a unanimous opinion in favor of Petitioners, Smith v. Bayer Corp., 564 U.S. 299 (2011).
Mr. Monahan is member of the West Virginia State Bar and the Board of Governors for the West Virginia Association of Justice. He has been recognized by the West Virginia Troopers Association for providing pro bono work to their Association.
Mr. Monahan has received an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell and is a member of The National Trial Lawyers Top 100. In his free time, he enjoys watching national and collegiate football and spending time with his family.
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- J.D. - 1990
- Juniata College, Huntingdon, PA
- B.A. - 1987
- Honors: cum laude
- West Virginia, 1994
- Pennsylvania, 1991
- United States Supreme Court
- Supreme Court of Appeals of West Virginia
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Southern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court Northern District of West Virginia
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Received an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Member of The National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- West Virginia Troopers Association
- Law Clerk, late Honorable Elizabeth V. Hallanan, United States District Judge, S.D.W.Va.
- West Virginia State Bar, Member
- Board of Governors for the West Virginia Association of Justice
Current Employment Position