Millions Of Dollars Recovered.

What are my options if my car accident leaves me unable to work?

On Behalf of | Jul 21, 2021 | Amputations, Car Accidents, Catastrophic Injuries, Spinal Cord Injuries, Traumatic Brain Injuries |

Most car accidents result in minor injury or no injury at all. Occasionally, however, they can result in catastrophic injuries that change someone’s life forever. Loss of limbs, paralysis and brain damage are just some of the injuries that could result from someone else’s negligent driving, and that could drastically reduce the victim’s ability to work and support themselves. If this happens to you, what are your recourses?

Lost wages

If you suffer a catastrophic injury, chances are you will be spending extensive time in the hospital, unable to work. Your best option is to bring a personal injury and negligence lawsuit against the responsible driver.

In this lawsuit, you can ask for compensation for lost wages. If you win, the responsible driver will have to pay you for the salary you would have earned if you were able to work. This allows you to continue to pay your bills and meet your needs while you recover.

Loss of earning capacity

Sometimes the victim of an accident won’t be able to return to work even after they fully recover, due to a permanent disability resulting from the accident. If this is your situation, you can also ask for compensation for loss of earning capacity in your lawsuit against the responsible driver.

If you win the lawsuit, the court will look at several factors to determine what your future earning capacity would likely have been. They calculate how much you can recover for loss of earning capacity based on things such as your industry, your age and your relative skill.

It is indescribably devastating to suffer an accident that changes your ability to work and support your family. Fortunately, our legal system offers you the ability to seek the recovery you need to live your life to the fullest, despite your accident.